The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has hit a roadblock ahead of its upcoming presidential and parliamentary primaries scheduled for May 13, 2023. Dr Kwabena Duffuor, one of the party’s aspirants, has filed an interlocutory injunction against the elections, citing concerns about the credibility of the Voters Register.
As a law-abiding party, the NDC has vowed to comply with the orders and processes of the court. However, the leadership has started consultations with the party elders to find a way forward and resolve the impasse quickly.
According to Mr Mustapha Gbandi, Deputy General Secretary of the NDC, about 80% of the data required by aspirants for the elections had already been given to them. The Party is in the process of furnishing them with the remaining 20%. However, aspirants are only entitled to the delegates’ list, which the Party has made available to them and not photo albums.
Mr Gbandi noted that, even if for some reason they would not be able to carry out the photo album, the delegates list had been discharged in accordance with the law and process. He urged aspirants to continue with their campaign activities and members of the Party, particularly delegates, to remain calm while the leadership worked to resolve the matter.
The NDC has reassured its supporters that it will deliver the full complement of the photo albums, although it is not a document stated in the election regulation. The party has implored its members to remain active within the principles of the Party and to work towards the greater interest of the NDC.
For the most part, the NDC is committed to holding credible primaries that will select competent candidates to represent the Party in the upcoming general elections. As the Party continues to engage with the elders to resolve the current impasse, all stakeholders must remain calm and trust the NDC leadership to uphold its values and principles.