Advertisement
Advertisement
Ghana News

GGSA Calls for Adequate Resourcing to Position Ghana as a World-Class Geo-Scientific Center

Advertisement

The Ghana Geological Survey Authority (GGSA) has reiterated its call on the government to provide the necessary resources to enable it to function effectively as a world-class geo-scientific centre. Speaking at a media engagement in Kumasi, Mr Isaac Kuuwan Mwinbelle, Director General of GGSA, said the Authority needed adequate budgetary allocations, issues of remuneration, and office infrastructure to execute its mandate effectively.

The GGSA plays a critical role in advising the state on geo-scientific, geo-hazards, and land use planning. It is also a national repository for geo-scientific information generated by public and private entities such as mining and mineral exploration companies. Additionally, it offers advice on construction of roads and railways and approves building permits. For the most part, the GGSA conducts ground surveys or air-borne surveys, takes samples, and makes borings necessary for the conduct of investigations and the preparation of relevant reports to assist with national development.

Advertisement

According to Mr Mwinbelle, about 60 percent of the country had been mapped geologically, and the remaining 40 percent would soon be mapped. He also highlighted that the south eastern part of the country was prone to earthquakes. Therefore, the GGSA is stepping up its efforts to protect the country’s natural resources and sensitise the public on natural disaster preparedness and management to reduce the risk and impact of such disasters when they occurred.

The GGSA’s mandate is critical to the development of the country, and it is, therefore, imperative for the government to support the Authority in carrying out its functions. Providing the necessary resources will enable the GGSA to continue to be an essential player in the country’s economic development.

In conclusion, the GGSA’s call for adequate resourcing is a necessary step towards ensuring that the Authority can execute its mandate effectively. The GGSA plays a critical role in advising the government on important issues that affect the country’s development, and it is, therefore, imperative for the government to provide the necessary resources to enable the GGSA to function effectively.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker!