Between 2017 and 2022, the government paid food vendors more than GH2.7 billion as part of the free senior high school policy.
Over 700 senior high schools (SHS), technical, vocational, and community development institutions will receive 18 food products from this amount.
Hanan Abdul-Wahab, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the National Food Buffer Stock Company Limited (NAFCO), revealed this today (August 21), stating that GH81.1 million, GH296.2 million, and GH441.5 million were paid to food suppliers in 2017, 2018, and 2019 respectively.
He said that NAFCO made payments totaling GH467.9 million in 2020, GH692.2 million in 2021, and GH726.6 million in 2022.
Despite the fact that the government owed the food suppliers money through 2022, Mr. Abdul-Wahab said, GH100 million was paid on July 17, this year, and GH80 million had been released but had not yet reached the suppliers’ accounts.
“In terms of percentage, I can say that 85 per cent of what we owe as arrears for 2022 has been settled. What is remaining is 15 per cent, which we are working to ensure that it is settled before the end of the month,” he said.
He was addressing today (August 21) in Accra at the Ministry of Information’s Meet the Press series.
The presentation mainly highlighted the NAFCO’s progress in achieving its goals of ensuring food security, promoting guaranteed prices for farmers, stabilizing food prices on the local market, and encouraging local grain consumption.