Advertisement
Advertisement
Ghana News

Calm restored to Bawku after violence

Advertisement

Calm has returned to Bawku in the Upper East area after unknown gunmen opened fire on a gathering of people at a community center on Wednesday, January 17.

Three people died in the tragedy, while four others were wounded.

Advertisement

Residents are said to have left the neighborhood in fear for their lives.

Following a purported gunfire between armed individuals and Ghana Armed Forces troops, three people were killed, while one escaped.

This latest death takes the number to six persons slain in the last week.

On Friday, January 19, 2024, some ladies protesting the recent deaths were purportedly shot upon by the Ghana Armed Forces, which the military denies.

Hamza Amadu, the Municipal Chief Executive of Bawku, indicated that armed soldiers and police are present to prevent additional assaults and maintain stability in the region.

“Everything is calm, just that everyone is in his/her zone, everybody is not moving to the other side. If you are in an area, and you are comfortable, you could move there quietly to conduct your business and move away. That is generally happening in Bawku. It is not as if there is an exchange of gunfire, it is calm, and everybody is conducting their business.

“Military men are moving about conducting their patrols. Those who are stationed at places have taken precautions to ensure nobody is injured or gun fires are exchanged between the two feuding factions. Police are also doing the same,” Hamza Amadu said.

Mahama Ayariga, Member of Parliament for Bawku Central, criticized the latest gun incident in his area.

 

 

 

Advertisement
Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker!