Several wooden houses used for household and commercial reasons at North Suntreso, near the Bantama Baptist Church in Kumasi, were destroyed by a fire that broke out early Wednesday.
The fire also destroyed various personal possessions, such as televisions, refrigerators, and other electronic devices.
Early involvement by Ghana National Fire Service officials kept the issue from growing, and more tenders were called in to help bring it under control.
DO3 Peter Addai, the Ghana National Fire Service’s public relations officer in the Ashanti area, told Citi News that the Komfo Anokye service station had to ask for reinforcements when it got on the site.
“Around 2:06 am, we received a distress call reporting a fire outbreak at North Suntreso, opposite the Bantama Baptist Church, and we quickly dispatched our tender at Komfo Anokye. When we got there, the fire was well alight and had burned down eight wooden structures. They had to quickly call in more tenders to come and help, so we used about three fire tenders to extinguish the fire, and there were no casualties.”
Although the exact origin of the fire breakout has yet to be determined, firefighters believe an unauthorized energy connection had a significant part in the catastrophe.
“We want to advise that since we are still in the harmattan season, we have to be careful how we use electricity and electrical devices. We advise that people do genuine connections to prevent fire outbreaks. Certified electricians must be engaged in electrical connections.”